Manchester United defeat Coventry on penalties and enter the finals

In the FA Cup semi-final on Sunday afternoon at Wembley, Manchester United defeated Coventry City on penalties, securing their place in the final against Manchester City

(Football news) Just before the hour mark, Erik ten Hag’s team scored goals through Scott McTominay, Harry Maguire, and Bruno Fernandes to take a 3-0 lead in the last four match. Coventry didn’t seem to have an answer for that.

Manchester United was reeling, and Haji Wright astonishingly netted a penalty in the 95th minute to send the match into extra time in the capital. However, the Championship team responded through Ellis Simms and Callum O’Hare in the 71st and 79th minutes, respectively, to set up a spectacular climax at Wembley.

Victor Torp thought that he had won it for Coventry in the final stages of extra time, but his effort was disallowed for an offside in the build-up, with penalties therefore required to decide the sensational contest.

Man United came out on top 4-2 in the shootout to advance to the final, with Diogo Dalot, Christian Eriksen, Fernandes and Rasmus Hojlund registering after Casemiro had missed his effort.

Man United suffered a fresh injury blow in the middle of their defence ahead of the contest, with Willy Kambwala ruled out, which saw Casemiro start alongside Maguire at centre-back, as Lisandro Martinez, Victor Lindelof, Jonny Evans and Raphael Varane are also on the sidelines.

The Red Devils had an opportunity in the sixth minute when Fernandes headed down towards Alejandro Garnacho inside the Coventry box, but the Argentine just could not make contact.

Wright’s pace almost took him clear for Coventry in the 12th minute, with the forward moving past Casemiro, but Dalot was luckily on the cover from Man United’s point of view.

Marcus Rashford then had a brilliant chance in the 18th minute following an excellent pass from Casemiro, but he could only turn wide of the post.

Man United did make the breakthrough in the 23rd minute, though, with McTominay turning a low cross from Dalot into the back of the net from close range, sparking wild celebrations in the red end of the stadium.

The pattern of the match stayed the same after the opening goal, with Man United dominating the possession and Coventry threatening on the counter-attack due to their pace.

The Championship club had a big chance to level the scores in the 39th minute after Ben Sheaf delivered a dangerous cross towards Simms, but Dalot just about managed to beat the striker to the ball with an excellent piece of defending.

Rashford came close to doubling Manchester United’s lead with a thumping strike in the 43rd minute, but Coventry goalkeeper Brad Collins was on hand to make an excellent save.

However, from the resulting corner from Fernandes, Maguire headed into the back of the net to make it 2-0 to the Red Devils, with Coventry having a mountain to climb ahead of the second 45 minutes.

Fernandes struck one just wide of the far post early in the second period, before Coventry enjoyed a strong spell, but Man United continued to defend well, with Casemiro impressing in the middle of the defence.

The Red Devils made it 3-0 in the 58th minute, with Fernandes showing excellent feet inside the penalty box before striking into the back of the net following lacklustre defending from the Championship club.

Maguire steered just over the crossbar in the 63rd minute, before O’Hare headed over down the other end, with Coventry having a rare chance to register in the English capital.

The Championship club scored in the 71st minute, with Simms brilliantly turning a low cross from Fabio Tavares into the bottom corner from inside the box for his 19th goal of the campaign and sixth in the FA Cup.

O’Hare then had one incredibly deflected into the back of the net in the 79th minute, with his effort hitting Wan-Bissaka and dropping into the corner.

Onana made a stunning save to keep out a thumping volley from Torp in the 84th minute, before Coventry were awarded a penalty in stoppage time for a Wan-Bissaka handball, and Wright stepped up to level it at 3-3 and set up extra time at Wembley Stadium after an extraordinary turn of events.

Fernandes smashed one against the crossbar in the best chance of the first half of extra-time, but Omari Forson also came close for Man United, having a low strike tipped wide by the Coventry goalkeeper.

Early in the second half of extra time, Wright missed the target down the other end following a swift counterattack; Simms then hammered one off the underside of the crossbar, and Coventry went within a whisker of scoring a fourth goal in the English capital. Maguire had an effort tipped wide early in the half.

Coventry believed they had won it through Torp in the closing seconds, but it was disallowed after Wright’s offside in the build-up was flagged by VAR.

After O’Hare and Sheaf missed for the Championship team, Hojlund sealed the victory for Man United, who eventually prevailed 4-2 in the shootout. 

Also read: Real Madrid defeat Barcelona by 3 goals to 2 in LA Liga


Share The Article:

Leave A Reply